In this issue…
- Alfalfa Checkoff Funds Eight Research Projects
- Research Funding, Safety Net the Focus of 9th Annual DC Fly-In
- NAFA Gives Pollinator Presentation to EPA Officials
- Senator Jerry Moran Earns NAFA’s Outstanding Service Award
- NAFA President Presents at Western Alfalfa Seed Growers, MFA, and IEFAC Winter Meetings
- Managing Alfalfa Fields When Cold, Wet, and Freezing Occurs, Plus More!
- Alfalfa Winterkill/Winter Injury? What to Look for This Spring
- CHECKOFF/AFRP/APRI Research Summaries
Click here for the entire newsletter.
|Research Funding, Safety Net the Focus of 9th Annual DC Fly-In
A greater investment in public research devoted to alfalfa and legitimate risk management tools that provide a safety net for alfalfa farmers were the focus of the National Alfalfa & Forage Alliance’s 9th Annual DC Fly-In held February 4-7. With more than 100 agency and Capitol Hill meetings scheduled over the three-day event, NAFA representatives met with lawmakers to stress the importance of increased funding for alfalfa research at USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS), as well as increased funding for the Alfalfa Seed and Alfalfa Forage Systems Research Program (AFRP) administered by USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA). Current support within USDA for alfalfa research pales in comparison to major program crops despite the fact that alfalfa is the nation’s 3rd most valuable field crop. Click here for the complete article.