K-State will hold a Cover Crop Field Day at its HB Ranch location south of Cedar Bluff Reservoir on Friday, May 13. The field day will begin at 10 a.m. To get to the HB Ranch field, take exit 135/Ogallah on I-70 and go south on Hwy 147. HB Ranch is located about 4 miles south of Cedar Bluff Reservoir on Hwy 147. From Brownell, drive 5 miles north of Hwy 147.
During this field day and tour, K-State researchers will discuss ongoing research efforts at the HB Ranch evaluating cover crop management options in dryland wheat-based production systems.
Topics and speakers:
- K-State cover crop research – John Holman, Agronomist, Southwest Research-Extension Center
- Cover crops plot tour at HB Ranch – Augustine Obour, Soil Scientist, KSU Ag Research Center-Hays
- Growers perspective – Brice Custer and Larry Manhart
- Cover crops and soil health – Candy Thomas, USDA-NRCS
- Grazing cover crops – Sandy Johnson, Livestock Specialist, Northwest Research-Extension Center
A lunch will be provided at no cost. Funding for this field day is provided in part by the USDA Ogallala Aquifer Program and a USDA-NRCS Conservation Innovation Grant.
Please RSVP by May 6 to Milissa at 785-625-3425 or email to Milissa@ksu.edu