Kansas grass fire assistance

KANSAS FARM BUREAU – Ranchers continue to recover from wildfires that began March 6 and swept through an estimated 1.5 million acres in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Colorado.

The outpouring of those wanting to help has been tremendous and Kansas Farm Bureau continues to work connecting those who need help with those who can provide it.

Clark County Farm Bureau is donating $20,000 to ranchers impacted in the county.  “There’s a lot of hurting families,” Bruce McKissick, Clark County Farm Bureau board president, says. “We decided to give money to those who need help.”

McKissick says they will also provide money to area fire departments who helped battle the fires and will buy fence supplies.

Those who were impacted by the fires are encouraged to share what they need help with via the web page www.kfb.org/firerelief.
For those wanting to donate money, Kansas Farm Bureau encourages people to contact the Kansas Livestock Association at 785-273-5115. Checks can be mailed to the Kansas Livestock Foundation at 6031 SW 37th St., Topeka, KS 66614. “Fire relief fund” should be written in the memo line.

Cash donations can be made through the Kansas Livestock Foundation (KLF), KLA’s charitable arm, by going to www.kla.org/donationform.aspx. Here are some other ways you can help. Please check Kansas Farm Bureau’s website for updates as they come in.


KFB, KLA, KDA, Extension, KDWPT, USDA and FSA will host a meeting for those impacted by the wildfires around Clark County March 22 at Ashland High School gymnasium, 11 N J E Humphreys St. in Ashland at 2 p.m. According to USDA’s Risk Management Agency, farmers affected by the fires may report wheat acres for short rate eligibility until March 24 in Barber, Cheyenne, Clark, Comanche, Ellis, Ellsworth, Ford, Harvey, Hodgeman, Kiowa, Lane, Lincoln, McPherson, Meade, Ness, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Rooks, Russell and Seward counties. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) reminds farmers and ranchers affected by the recent wildfires that disaster assistance programs are available to support their recovery efforts.

The Farm Service Agency (FSA) can assist farmers and ranchers who lost livestock, grazing land, fences or eligible trees, bushes and vines as a result of a natural disaster. FSA administers a suite of safety-net programs to help producers recover from eligible losses, including the Livestock Indemnity Program, the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program, and the Tree Assistance Program. Detailed information on all of these disaster assistance programs can be found online at: www.fsa.usda.gov/disaster.

In addition, the FSA Emergency Conservation Program provides funding and technical assistance for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters. Producers located in counties that receive a primary or contiguous disaster designation are eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses. Compensation is also available to producers who purchased coverage through the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program, which protects non-insurable crops (including native grass for grazing) against natural disasters that result in lower yields, crop losses or prevented planting.

For more information on FSA disaster assistance programs, please contact your local USDA Service Center. To find your local USDA Service Center go to http://offices.usda.gov.

This entry was posted in Hay Clippings Blog. Bookmark the permalink.